Thursday, September 23, 2010

Our time at the edge.

"Jules, y'know, honey... this isn't real. You know what it is? It's St. Elmo's Fire. Electric flashes of light that appear in dark skies out of nowhere. Sailors would guide entire journeys by it, but the joke was on them... there was no fire. There wasn't even a St. Elmo. They made it up. They made it up because they thought they needed it to keep them going when times got tough... We're all going through this. It's our time at the edge."


Let's chalk up another life lesson driven home by a brat pack movie. What've I learned today? At this age, everyone is going through hell. Early twenties is prime suffering time. Except for the rare cases of people who find stability young or those who are blissfuly oblivious, most of us are obsessed with one or all of the following: finding love, making enough money to live comfortably, and/or finding a job that will make the first two obsessions less difficult to come by. And as close as I sometimes feel I am to giving up and retreating to my bedroom until I'm 25, it's comforting to know that 80% of other people in my age group are considering hibernation as a tempting alternative, as well. But we keep on. At least, I know I will. And I'll try to keep in mind that I'm not the only one who's love sick, or broke, or a nervous wreck. This bandwagon is pretty damn full. So we might as well make the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment